Did you know there is a link between bruxism and temporomandibular disorders? If you suffer from bruxism, which is the unconscious act of clenching or grinding your teeth, you are very likely to cause symptoms of a temporomandibular disorder, also called TMD. Because all the parts of your jaw are interconnected, damage to one area of your face could start a chain reaction to damage all the rest. You may suffer from TMD and not even know it is the root cause of your pain. Here are some symptoms to watch out for:
– Do you have any joint pain when your jaw is moving?
– Do you have any muscle stiffness or pain around your head?
– Do you get headaches?
– Is there any popping or clicking sounds when you open your jaw?
– Does your jaw ever lock up?
– Do you suffer from arthritis, jaw dislocation or injury, tooth and jaw misalignment issues, stress, anxiety, or bruxism?
If you have any of these symptoms, you may suffer from TMD. Treatment is available. Our team at Kevin L. Caldwell, DDS, PC can help you deal with pains associated with TMD. Listed below are some common treatments:
– You can follow exercises that are specifically designed to strengthen your
– Some medications, such as muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatory medications can help with TMD.
– Bruxism treatments for grinding your teeth can be minimized with bite plates or night guards.
– Avoid extreme movements to your jaw, including deep yawns and chewing gum.
If you think you suffer from TMD, you can schedule an appointment with Dr. Kevin Caldwell by calling us at 417.673.1988, and speak with a member of our team. Our office is located in Webb City, Missouri. We look forward to fixing your smile!