If you are putting together a Thanksgiving menu for the upcoming holidays, we hope you will remember to take the time to care for the smile you have worked so hard to achieve.
At our dental practice in Webb City, Missouri, Kevin Caldwell and our team encourage you to consider your smile while you celebrate. Today we are pleased to share seven healthy smile tips to incorporate into your feast:
- Seek out the crudités, the cubes of cheese and bowls of nuts to stave off excess hunger. This protein fix will satisfy cravings and provide calcium for the teeth. Nuts have both calcium and minerals to remineralize your pearly whites.
- When it comes to vegetables, because of fiber, chewing raw vegetables stimulate saliva production to fight cavities while helping your stomach digest your food. Sweet potatoes with butter and salt (not covered in marshmallows) are packed with vitamins and minerals that your teeth will love.
- Turkey has protein and phosphorus for strong teeth and also rebuilds tooth enamel. Phosphorus, mixed with calcium and vitamin D works to create healthy bones and teeth.
- Nibble on fresh fruit served with plain Greek yogurt (more protein!) which benefit your teeth. Be wary of dried fruit which contains concentrated sugar that sticks to your teeth.
- Watch out for sticky, chewy desserts like pies such as pecan pie, and opt for pumpkin pie instead. Pumpkin pulp actually contains Vitamin A, fiber, and potassium, all of which is healthy for your teeth. Pumpkin seeds have magnesium as well.
- Sipping water hydrates and helps wash away food particles and plaque while black tea can kill bacteria in the mouth. Healthy green tea and milk are both good choices for your smile.
At the end of the day and after meals, be sure to brush and floss the acid-producing sugar and starchy carbs off of your teeth to avoid cavities. If you can’t brush and floss after eating, chewing sugar-free gum will reduce the acid level in your mouth until you can clean properly.
We hope you enjoy these seven smile-friendly food choices to help you keep your smile healthy during the holiday celebrations. We can be reached at 417.673.1988 if you have any questions or need to schedule a visit.
From our family to yours, Dr. Kevin Caldwell and all of us at here in Webb City, Missouri, wish you and yours a healthy, Happy Thanksgiving!